Toggle menu

Voter ID at polling stations

Voter ID at polling stations 

People who wish to vote in person (including those acting as a proxy) are now required to produce an accepted form of photographic ID to prove their identity before they will be issued with a ballot paper.

This will apply at all elections held in South Ribble, namely:

  • Local elections (borough and county council)
  • Parish elections
  • Neighbourhood planning referendums
  • UK parliamentary elections*
  • Police and crime commissioner elections

*for scheduled parliamentary elections after 5 October 2023.

What kinds of photo ID are accepted?

The accepted forms of photographic ID are : 

  • a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country
  • a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
  • a biometric immigration document
  • an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • a Blue Badge
  • a national identity card issued by an EEA state
  • an Older Person's Bus Pass
  • a Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • an Oyster 60+ Card
  • a Freedom Pass
  • a Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
  • a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
  • a Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
  • a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person's SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • a War Disablement SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland 

Acceptable photo ID expired

Expired photographic identification documents can still be used as accepted photographic ID at the polling station or signing place, as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of the elector.

No acceptable form of photo ID?

Where an individual does not have or does not wish to use one of these accepted forms of photographic ID, they can apply online at the government website for a Voter Authority Certificate.

Apply online for a voter authority certificate

For voters who may not be able to apply online, or who do not have an electronic photo that can be used, download an Electoral Commission Voter Authority Certificate which can be completed and returned to the Electoral Registration Officer at the Civic centre, 

Download the voter Authority Certificate application form

Additional Support

The Electoral Commission have produced this easy read document on  Voter ID (PDF) [776KB]  which helps to explain the process of showing ID at polling stations.

British Sign Language information videos

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email