Toggle menu

Housing association rented property repairs.

If you rent a property from a housing association, your landlord is always responsible for repairs to:

  • the property's structure and exterior
  • basins, sinks, baths, and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains.
  • heating and hot water
  • gas appliances, pipes, flues, and ventilation
  • electrical wiring
  • any damage they cause by attempting repairs.

Your landlord is usually responsible for repairing common areas, for example staircases in blocks of flats. Check your tenancy agreement if you are unsure.

Your responsibilities

You should only carry out repairs if the tenancy agreement says you can.

You cannot be forced to do repairs that are your landlord's responsibility.

If you damage another tenant's flat, for example if water leaks into another flat from an overflowing bath, you are responsible for paying for the repairs. You are also responsible for paying to put right any damage caused by your family and friends.

Rented property in need of repair

Your tenancy agreement with your landlord gives you the right to get repairs done within a reasonable time.

In the first instance you should contact your landlord directly to order the repair. If you are not satisfied with your landlord's response, you can make an official complaint. Your landlord's website will tell you how to do this.

Progress Housing Group
03333 204555

Accent Housing Contact details Link
01257 271129

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email