Toggle menu

Planning and enforcement

Planning and enforcement: Privacy notice
Council ServiceDevelopment Management (Planning and Enforcement)
Why we use personal information about you

To Process

  • Planning applications
  • Enforcement and Monitoring cases
  • Planning appeals
Why we are allowed to use your personal information

Legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to: Town and Country Planning Act 1990

We use the information we collect about you in order to administer planning related applications and determine their outcomes, and to fulfil our legal obligations around the planning process.

We do not use the information provided in the planning process for any other purposes unless we are required to do so by law. 

What sort of information we may hold about you

The personal data that we hold includes information such as;

  • your households names
  • contact details
  • email address
  • phone number
  • special category personal data such as gender, ethnicity, religion or other beliefs, sexual orientation
  • your medical history
  • information relating to expressed opinions or intentions in respect of a planning related application;
  • any other information you provide to us during the application process.
How long we may keep your personal information

We are required to make certain information about planning related applications available to the public, we cannot guarantee that all the information you provide will remain confidential.

A lot of information about planning related applications must be retained indefinitely (this is required by law) 

Who we share your personal data with

Information to be made publicly available

In order to comply with our statutory obligations we must make certain details about planning related applications available in the form of a public register. Regulations also permit and actively encourage this information to be made available online. This includes the name and address of the applicant and, where an agent is acting for the applicant, the name and address of that agent.

We will publish a copy of your completed application form and relevant supporting documents and drawings on our website. We may publish comments and objections on our website, and this will include your name and possibly your address. If the Council's decision on the application is appealed, the Government's Planning Inspectorate, who considers the appeal, will ask for copies of all application correspondence and they may also publish comments online.

The law requires us to maintain the information on the register of planning applications indefinitely, and as such information relating to applications will be available on our website permanently. Neighbour letters will be retained indefinitely as part of the electronic planning application file. 

In order to protect your personal data from any unnecessary disclosure, we will remove personal telephone numbers, mobile numbers, email addresses and signatures from the information that may be viewed online, but we will not as standard remove these details where they relate to your professional capacity (e.g. as an agent).

We will also remove any sensitive personal data that is legitimately required in the application process, such as information about your health, prior to publication. We also reserve the right not to publish any documents containing perceived insulting, offensive, abusive or obscene comments. We may share your information with other Council services to ensure our records are accurate and up to date.

We may share your data with Chorley Council as part of the shared services arrangements.

When computers make any decisions about youN/A
When your data gets sent to other countriesN/A
Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Request a copy of your information ( known as a subject access request)
  • Request rectification or erasure of your information
  • Request a restriction on the processing of your information, and, object to processing of your information
  • Complain to the information Commissioners office about the way the Council processes your information

If you require further information about the use of your data or would like to exercise any of the above rights please contact: the Data protection officer at South Ribble Borough council


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email