Toggle menu


If you are troubled by noise from a neighbouring home or business, you should approach the owner and politely request that they try to reduce any disturbance.

If all informal approaches fail to reduce the problem, we can investigate some complaints of noise and take legal action if necessary. 

Legally we cannot take action on all types of noise, but we can offer advice on problems arising from things like aircraft or railway noise, and we can take action over car and intruder alarms.

You can contact us if a car alarm has been going off for more than five minutes, or an intruder alarm at a property has been sounding for more than 20 minutes. We have the legal right to turn them off, although we always attempt to find the owner/ occupier first, and would never leave a property or vehicle insecure.

Please be aware that if you report a noise nuisance online or call our emergency number outside office hours that your enquiry will be dealt with the next working day.

Access free advice on noise nuisance.

Register your intruder alarm and keyholders (PDF) [167KB]

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email