Toggle menu

Self/Custom build register

What is self-build and custom build?

Self-build housing usually means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. 

Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you deliver your home. There may be some overlap between the two - for example some custom build developers offer the option of a serviced plot where you can design and build your own home as part of a larger scheme.

To find out more about self-build and custom build and other relevant information please use the links below:

The Self Build Portal

NaCSBA - National Custom and Self Build Association

Planning Portal - Self Build

Also local estate agents often list land suitable for small scale residential development. It may be worth looking at their websites and signing up for updates.

What is the purpose of the register?

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home and have recently published national guidance which sets out how councils should manage the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding. A key element of the guidance is the requirement for Councils to keep and publish a register of interested individuals and associations.  This will provide an indication of the demand for self and custom build in South Ribble. The information held by the register will allow the Council to develop their Housing, Planning, Asset Management and Regeneration policies to support the kinds of self and custom build projects that would be most appropriate.

Registering your interest in self and custom build

If you would like to register your interest, please complete the registration form below, all applications must be made by completing the application forms below. Please read the eligibility criteria below before completing the form.

To be added to the register you (or all members if a group/association) must meet the following criteria and by completing the application form you are confirming that you meet this criteria:

•  be aged 18 or over;

•  be a British citizen, national of an EEA state other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland;

•  be seeking (alone or with others) to apply for a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as their sole or main residence,

(this excludes people who intend to build a house for someone else, or to build a second/holiday home that will not be their main residence).

If you have any questions relating to the register, please contact the Strategic Housing Team on  or 01772 625384.

How we will use information from the register

By registering, you will help us find out more about the demand for Self/Custom build plots in South Ribble, for instance where people would like their plot to be and the type of dwelling that they would like to build.  

The information can be used to explore ways in which it might be possible for people to be advised of suitable plots should they become available. Registration does not mean that the Council can guarantee to find you a suitable plot or that a suitable plot will become available. 


We will hold information you provide on your requirements, and your ability to develop a self/custom build home. your data will not be used outside the council or for any other purposes.  The register will be treated as confidential and will not be a public document. We will not publish personal details. However headline data from the register will be published every year in our  2019-2020 South Ribble Monitoring Report (PDF) [31MB]  including; the number of individuals and groups/associations on the register; the number of plots sought; location preferences; plot size and type of housing intended to be built.

If after registering your needs change and you wish to be taken off the register, please contact the Strategic Housing Team at

In order to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, all personal information provided to South Ribble Borough Council will be held and treated in confidence. It will only be used for the purpose for which it was given.

By completing the application form you agree to us processing your personal information as described above.    

How to apply to register your interest

To apply electronically for an entry on the self/custom build register please complete the online form below:

Apply for self/custom build register

Alternatively if you would prefer to complete a paper copy, please contact


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email