Toggle menu

Test & Trace

If you have been identified as a contact of somebody who has tested positive for covid19 you will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

Local authorities across the country are supporting the NHS Test and Trace programme so if you are identified as a covid19 contact, you will receive contact from the NHS or your local authority, in this case the Council.

What to do if you're told to self-isolate by NHS Track & Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app



How the Council will contact you

How you are contacted depends on what details we have available for you. We may contact you by

  • text
  • telephone
  • email
  • letter
  • a visit to your home

If we contact you via telephone, letter or by email and we don't hear back from you, it's likely we will visit your home to let you know that you need to self-isolate.

The email address that the council will contact you on will be

Any letters will come from Civic Centre, West Paddock, Leyland, Lancashire, PR25 1DH and any officer who visits your home will have full proof of identification.

If you wish to verify the authenticity of the communication, please ring the dedicated Track & Trace phone number you have been provided with. 

How will we be able to contact you?

The data we will be using to contact people is a combination of that provided by the person to Public Health England (PHE) when they submitted their positive test and data the council holds for other purposes.

We are utilising this data because of the public health urgency. You can read the privacy policy here.

The data that is shared between us and PHE is covered by a data sharing agreement set up to address the requirements for multi-agency working during the pandemic.

Staff accessing PHE's system must undertake training specifically for the purpose. They then must be authorised by PHE.

Please be aware NHS Test and Trace or the council will not:

  • ask for bank details or payments
  • ask for details of any other accounts, such as social media
  • ask you to set up a password or PIN number over the phone
  • ask you to call a premium rate number, such as those starting 09 or 087


Test and Trace Support Payment

The test and trace support payment has been announced in response to feedback that some people were struggling to self-isolate due to financial constraints. It is to ensure that people on low incomes self-isolate when they test positive or are identified as a contact, and to encourage more people to get tested. This will help reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and avoid further restrictions, including local lockdowns.

Who will be eligible for the test and trace support payment?

To be eligible for the test and trace support payment, an individual must:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they've tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result and
  • be currently receiving
    • universal credit
    • working tax credit
    • income based employment and support allowance
    • income based jobseeker's allowance
    • income support
    • housing benefit
    • and/or pension credit.

Discretionary Payment

If you meet all the criteria stated above except that you do not get Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit you may still be eligible for a Discretionary Test & Trace payment. 

Discretionary Test & Trace payments are for those who are on low incomes and will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while they are self-isolating.  To consider a discretionary payment and establish whether you are on a low income and determine hardship, South Ribble Council will take into consideration your household circumstances, income and savings prior to your self-isolation period.

Please note that anyone who has been told to self-isolate before 28 September will not be eligible.

The payment will not be made to people who are furloughed.

How much is the payment?

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the benefits-linked eligibility criteria will be entitled to £500. This will be payable as a lump sum.

Will these payments be taxed?

These payments will be subject to income tax. They will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

I am not eligible, but need support through self-isolation

Even if you may not be eligible for the support because they are not in receipt of one of the listed benefits, please still complete the application form as you may still be eligible for a discretionary grant.

If this is the case the council will contact you at a later date with further details.

The South Ribble Together Community Hub community hub is there for everyone who needs support during this difficult time. 

We are here to help individuals suffering:

  • Financially;
  • With ill physical or mental health or;
  • Struggling to access vital services;
  • Struggling to access food and medicines;
  • Struggling with childcare arrangements.

Contact 01772 625 625 or email


Apply for the test and trace support payment

Test and trace payment form

We have received a high amount of applications over the Christmas period which unfortunately means that processing times will be longer than usual.  We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

A postive PCR test result is needed in order for you to apply for the payment. A positive LFT alone will not be accepted.

Supporting evidence will be required as follows:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace asking them to self-isolate (this will include a Unique ID number 8-Character unique identifier). The code is case sensitive, and MUST be entered exactly as given by the NHS. A NHS Isolation note is not valid and should be rejected;
  • proof of employment, or, if they are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income
  • proof that their business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact. Decision will be based on information submitted by applicant if self-employed. If employed, on employer confirming they are unable to work from home and that they will have a reduction in earned income.
  • a bank statements

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page