© South Ribble Borough Council 2019


Housing options

South Ribble Borough Council Guarantee Scheme

The scheme aims to help people who are in housing need to find a property in the private rented sector by offering a written bond up to a maximum value of £550 - instead of a cash deposit to landlords on behalf of the tenant.

To be eligible for the scheme you must:

  • be homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • be aged 18 or over
  • be on a low income or receiving benefits
  • have little or no savings
  • be capable of living independently and have a local connection to South Ribble.

You will attend a housing options interview to apply for the scheme and will be asked to provide evidence regarding your situation at the time of the interview. Funding for the scheme is limited, so even if you meet all the above criteria a bond cannot be guaranteed.

The scheme will provide a bond up to the value of four weeks rent which will remain valid for up to 12 months. During this period the tenant should save up so that they can provide their own bond to the landlord when the written bond expires.

The bond can only be used to claim for damage beyond normal wear and tear like damage to furniture. The bond cannot be used to claim for other reasons such as rent arrears.

We will check the tenancy history of applicants and we may ask former landlords for a tenancy reference.

If you are accepted onto the scheme, the next step is to find a suitable and affordable property with a landlord who will accept a written bond. If the landlord requires further information about the scheme, ask them to contact us.

Once you have found a suitable property with a landlord who will accept a written bond, contact us to arrange a property inspection to ensure that the property meets standards. If the inspection shows that work is required the landlord will be asked to carry out the work. Once the property meets the standard then the bond can be issued.

The council will contact you and arrange to visit the property with you and the landlord; complete an inventory of the property which will record the condition of the fixtures, fittings, decorations etc and list contents in the property; and will sign and issue the bond certificate.

We advise you not to sign the tenancy agreement before the inspection and inventory have been completed as you will be liable for the deposit until you and your landlord have received the Bond Certificate from the Scheme.

The scheme does not recommend landlords, tenants or properties.

Shared Ownership and Help To Buy

Help to Buy North West is the Government’s Local Help to Buy Agent for the North West area and is a one-stop shop for information and applications for affordable home ownership schemes across these areas. These include Help to Buy – Equity Loan and Help to Buy Shared Ownership. 

Social Housing

Social housing in the borough is assessed via the Select Move partnership. Visit Select Move, to get futher information and to apply for a property.