Toggle menu

How to claim housing benefit

You can claim housing benefit if:

  • you are in temporary or specified accommodation (customers in homeless accommodation or people who have a care or support package with their tenancy)
  • you and your partner, if you have one, are both state pension age.

If you do not fall into one of these categories, please view information on Universal Credit

Make a claim for housing benefit

Please follow the steps below to make your claim for housing benefit.

1. Register your intent to claim
To make sure that we award housing benefit from the earliest date possible, you must register your intent to claim. To do this you should contact us by email to and tell us you will be making a claim for housing benefit. An application will need to be received within 1 month of this date. If you do not register your intention to make a claim, you may lose benefit.

2. Make a claim for benefit

Make a claim for benefit using our online application form

 Make a claim

When completing the form, it is best to have certain details to hand such as:

  • identity and national insurance numbers
  • income and earnings
  • savings and capital
  • household details
  • rent and tenancy details.

If you do not have a computer or need some support with completing an online form, we can help you to complete your claim. Please contact

If you do not have all the information to hand, do not worry. You can save your claim and come back to it at a later date.

3. What happens after a claim is submitted
Once your claim form has been submitted, we will contact you if any further information is needed.

Once all the necessary information has been received, your claim will be processed, and your housing benefit will normally be paid within 14 days.  

You will receive a letter giving you details of your award. If you sign up for an E-Citizen account you will receive an email telling you that your letter is available to view.

Backdating a housing benefit claim

Housing benefit is normally paid from the Monday following the date a claim is received by us. If you want benefit to be paid from an earlier date you will need to request backdating. View more information on how to request backdating




Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email