Toggle menu

Voter ID

Voter ID

Voter ID

For local elections on 4 May 2023, and for future elections, voters will need to show an accepted form of photographic identification (photo ID) to vote at a polling station.


What photo ID do I need?

Most people will already have an acceptable form of photo ID. The types of acceptable ID documents are listed below:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photocard Driving Licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
  • a Blue Badge
  • Older Person's Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original document. Photocopies and images on electronic devices cannot be accepted.

You can still use your photo ID if it is out of date, as long as it still looks like you. The name on your photo ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

For more information on what types of photo ID can be taken to the polling station visit the Electoral Commission - Accepted Forms of photo ID.


What if I don't have any of the photo ID documents listed above?

If you don't have any of the photo ID listed above you will need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.


How do I apply for a Voter Authority Certificate?

You will need to provide other documents to confirm your identity. You can apply online or complete a paper form. Contact us if you require a paper application form.

Anonymous electors

Anonymous electors wishing to vote in person at the polling station will need to produce an Anonymous Elector's Document as their photographic ID. This is a document containing an elector's elector number and photograph following verification of their identity. The Anonymous Elector's Document is produced by the Elections Office. Anonymous electors cannot use any other forms of photographic ID. Anonymous electors will still also be required to produce their poll card when voting in person.


Need more information?

Full details of how to apply can be found at Electoral Commission - Voter Authority Certificates and Anonymous Elector's Documents

Voter ID Easy Read Booklet (PDF) [776KB]  The Electoral Commission have produced this easy read document on Voter ID which helps to explain the process of showing ID at polling stations.

There are also some British Sign Language videos that cover some of the main areas of Voter ID:

Applying for a Voter Authority Certificate

What will happen at the polling station?

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?


Find your polling station

Use our polling station finder tool.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email