Toggle menu

New driver guidance

The Council issues 3 year licences to applicants who it is satisfied are fit and proper to hold such a licence.

If you are interested in becoming a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver you may telephone the Licensing Unit on 01772 625625 to make an appointment to come in to speak to one of the Licensing Officers, before you begin the application process.

You will be expected to pass a Knowledge Test and CSE Safeguarding on-line training (you will require a valid email address to complete this training) before you submit an application. To do so, Please contact The Gateway on 01772 625625 to book an appointment.

To apply for a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's Licence all applicants must submit the following.

A. On-line Application and declaration of convictions
B. Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS)
C. South Ribble Group II Medical Certificate
D. Full UK Driving Licence
E. Certificate of Conduct in English (if you have lived outside the UK in the last 10 years)
F. One passport size photograph.
G. If you are hiring a company vehicle, a copy of the hiring agreement.
H. British Passport
I. DVLA Summary performed by The Council's Gateway Service
J. Non-Refundable Fee;

New driver fee: £190.00
DBD Certificate: £60

  1. Go onto our website and complete the online application form and declaration of convictions. When you bring any of the supporting documents (B-H) into the Council Offices you will be asked to counter sign the online submission.
  2. Bring your driving licence, requisite proofs of identification, an up to date photograph and the fee to the Civic Centre.
  3. Complete your application for an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS) with the Council's Gateway team. When you receive your certificate, you must bring it into the Civic Centre.
  4. Once you have obtained your DBS certificate you must sign up to the DBS Update Service within 19 days of the DBS issue date. You will need to pay a fee of £13 to register initially and then an annual payment of £13 by Direct Debit. To sign up - please visit website.
  5. If you have resided outside the UK in the last 10 years you will be required to provide a certificate of good conduct, translated into English at your expense.
  6. Make arrangements to sit - A Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving (Taxi & Private Hire) (QCF). Please call Lancashire College of further education on 01254 433931.
  7. Make an appointment with your GP for them to complete the South Ribble Group II Medical Certificate. You must then bring the completed form into the Civic Centre. If there are any concerns about your fitness to hold such a licence, your application will be referred to the next available General Licensing Committee. If there are no concerns you will be issued with a licence and driver's badge.

Incomplete applications will automatically lapse after a period of 6 months, from the initial date of application.

Declaration of convictions

All applicants for a Private Hire or Hackney Carriage drivers licence are required to declare all convictions for criminal offences, motoring offences, Fixed Penalties and Police cautions or reprimands on the Declaration of Convictions.

All convictions, cautions, warnings and reprimands may be taken into account in determining your application. There is no such thing as a spent conviction in relation to applicants for either a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's Licence.

Production of UK driving licence

You must produce a full UK driving licence as issued by DVLA, Swansea and granted under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 or Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988 authorising you to drive a motor vehicle.

You must have held the licence for a minimum period of twelve months.

Disclosure and barring Service - Enhanced Certificate (DBS)

In order that the Licensing Authority may check with the Disclosure and Barring Service for the existence and extent of any criminal record held by the applicant you must complete the on-line check and have your identification documents verified with one of the Council's Gateway officers. This check costs £60.

Please note - DBS forms for other authorities/sources will not be accepted.

To apply for a DBS - you will need to bring the following documentation with you;

  • 1 Document from Group 1 and 2 from either Group 2a or 2b or
  • 2 Documents from Group 1 and 1 from either Group 2a or 2b or
  • 3 Documents from Group 1

Group 1

  • Photo driving licence UK
  • Valid passport
  • Original Birth Certificate UK
  • Biometric Residence Permit UK

Group 2

  • Certified copy of a Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)
  • Photo driving licence (non-UK)
  • Adoption Certificate (UK
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK)
  • Older style Paper Driving Licence (UK)
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)
  • Firearms Licence (UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man)

Group 2b

  • Bank or building society statement (UK or EEA)
  • Financial statement
  • Council Tax statement (UK)
  • Utility Bill
  • Central/Local Government/Government Agency/Local Authority
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)
  • Bank/Building society account opening confirmation letter (UK)
  • Letter from a Head Teacher
  • Credit card statement (UK or EEA)
  • P45/P60 statement (UK)
  • Work permit/VISA (UK)
  • Benefit Statement 
  • EU National ID card
  • Mortgage statement (UK or EEA)
  • Letter fo sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-Uk, Nn-EEA)

Certificate of medical fitness (Group II)

You must produce a certificate of medical fitness to Group II standard to be able to drive a licensed vehicle. The Group II medical should be completed by your General Practitioner using the prescribed South Ribble Borough Council form. Medical examinations are required upon application, then every five years up to 65 years of age, after which a medical will be required annually.

Knowledge Test

The Council's Knowledge Test must be undertaken by all applicants. The knowledge test will assess the applicant's knowledge in relation to the areas detailed below;

  • Highway Code.
  • Comprehension.
  • Numeracy.
  • Ability to use map.
  • Hackney Carriage Bylaws and or Private hire conditions.

The cost of a Knowledge Test is £25. If an applicant applies for both licences at the same time, they will be required to pass the Hackney Carriage Knowledge Test Applicants, who fail the first attempt, may re-sit the test up to 3 times.

Each additional test will be charged at £25 and a minimum period of 24 hours must elapse before the applicant is able to sit another knowledge test.

A period of at least 3 months must then elapse from the date of the failure of the third Knowledge Test and any new application for either a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Driver's Licence.

CSE Training

All Drivers will be expected to complete a mandatory CSE on-line training at a cost of £5. This will form part of your Application via The Gateway.

Applicants who have previously held licenses issued by the authority

If you have previously held a South Ribble Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Driver's Licence and have allowed that licence to expire, you must make an application for a NEW licence. You will be required to undergo the medical, DBS and DVLA checks in addition to obtaining either the Level 2 Certificate - Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver, or the DSA Driving Assessment for Taxis & Private Hire Vehicles, if no qualification has previously been obtained. You will also be required to re-sit the Council's Knowledge Test.

General Licensing Committee

If your application is referred to the Council's General Licensing Committee for consideration, you should be aware that the Committee is not a Court of Law. Each application will be considered on its own merits and you may bring another person to the meeting to speak up on your behalf or support you. Should you be aggrieved by any decision made by the Committee, then you have the right of appeal to the Magistrates Court within 21 days of the notification of the decision. If you have any queries regarding your application, please contact; Licensing Unit, South Ribble Borough Council, Civic Centre, West Paddock, Leyland, PR25 1DH Tel: 01772 625625 or

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email