Toggle menu

Planning enforcement policy

Who can complain?

5.1 Anyone who believes that a breach of planning control has occurred can make a complaint. Please see Section 6.

5.2 Please be prepared to identify yourself so that your complaint may be investigated.

5.3 Where a retrospective application for planning permission is made to regularise unauthorised development, publicity and consultation will be carried out, and adjacent residents/property owners will be given the opportunity to comment before a decision is taken.

5.4 Anonymous complaints will not normally be pursued unless other evidence suggests that the breach is causing serious harm to the environment or the amenity of residents

Please note - All initial complaints are dealt with in confidence, and details of the complainants will not be made known without their agreement. However, the substance of the complaints themselves is not confidential. In some cases it may be necessary to rely on evidence from complainants in order to take action and you will need to consider whether you are willing to actively assist the Council by collecting evidence and acting as a witness at an appeal or in Court. The Council's Enforcement Officer will explain what may be required in these cases.

It must be recognised that in some cases the identity of a complainant may become apparent to the transgressor despite the confidentiality policy of the Council.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email