Toggle menu

Strategic housing

Strategic housing: Privacy notice
Council ServiceStrategic housing
Why we use personal information about you
  • Assess your grant application to ensure it meets with the relevant grant criteria and enables us to carry out a financial assessment where grants are means tested.
  • Advise and assist you to resolve your disrepair or adaptation issues with your home.
  • Ensure that we meet our statutory duties
  • Build statistical information to inform plans and strategies in relation to Strategic Housings - this will not identify individuals
  • Register of interest to inform applicants as and when affordable home ownership schemes go live • Assess eligibility for affordable housing through Discounted Open Market Value schemes 
  • Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register
Why we are allowed to use your personal information

Legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to:

  • The Housing Act 1996,
  • Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
  • Equality Act 2010 • The Regulatory Reform (Housing Assistance) (England and Wales) Order 2002
  • Home Energy Conservation Act
  • Energy Act 2013
  • Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015
What sort of information we may hold about you

The personal Data that we hold includes information such as;

  • Your households names,
  • date of birth,
  • contact details,
  • relevant housing history
  • relevant health information for the adaptations
  • Information on any support packages which may have been put in place
  • Special category personal data such as gender, ethnicity, religion or other beliefs, sexual orientation and medical history.
  • Financial Information for the applicant and all occupiers of the property
  • Benefit data depending on the grant being applied for.
How long we may keep your personal information

Your information will be held for 2 years both electronically and on paper and then retained electronically only for a period of 4 years after closure of your case. Your information will be held securely and treated confidentially.

Your information relating to affordable home ownership eligibility will be held electronically for a period of 2 years and will be treated securely and confidentially. We will hold your data on the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register until you inform us that you no longer require to be on the register (we will contact you every year to ascertain if you want your data to remain on the register.

Who we share your personal data with

If we need to talk to other people and organisations regarding your information in the course of conducting our enquiries and assisting with your grant we will obtain your consent. You will give this consent as part of the declaration that is signed when you approach the Council for a grant application. We will not be able to assess your circumstances and offer the correct advice if this is withheld.

  • The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use the information you have provided or share it with other bodies for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud. This includes participation in the cabinet offices National fraud Initiative.
  • We may share your information for the lawful purpose of the prevention and detection of crime under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
  • Your data may be shared with Social services and other care providers so that we can assess your requirements before advising on the required adaptations.
  • Data will be uploaded securely to the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government for the purpose of analysing.
  • We may share your information with other Council services to ensure our records are accurate and up to date
  • Other local councils, e.g. for joint events & training
  • We may share your data with Chorley Council as part of the shared services arrangements.
When computers make any decisions about youN/A
When your data gets sent to other countriesN/A
Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Request a copy of your information ( known as a subject access request)
  • Request rectification or erasure of your information
  • Request a restriction on the processing of your information, and, object to processing of your information
  • Complain to the information Commissioners office about the way the Council processes your information

If you require further information about the use of your data or would like to exercise any of the above rights please contact: the Data protection officer at South Ribble Borough council


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email