Toggle menu

Human resources

Human resources: Privacy notice
Council ServiceHuman resources
Why we use personal information about you

As your employer we need to keep and process information about you for normal employment purposes.

The information we hold and process will be used for our management and administrative use only. We will keep and use it to enable us manage our relationship with you effectively, lawfully and appropriately, during the recruitment process, whilst you are working for us, at the time when your employment ends and after you have left.

This include using information to enable us to comply with the employment contract, to comply with any legal requirements, pursue the legitimate interests of the Council and protect our legal position in the event of legal proceedings. As a public sector service provider we may sometime need to process you data to pursue our legitimate business interests, for example to prevent fraud or administrative purposes. We will never process your data where these interest are overridden by your own interests.

Why we are allowed to use your personal information

Legal obligation or public task under various UK laws including but not limited to:

  • Local Government and Housing Act 1989
  • Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
  • Equality Act 2010
  • Local government transparency code 2015
  • Equal pay act 1970
  • Working Time Directive
What sort of information we may hold about you

The sort of information we hold includes your application form and references, your contract of employment and any amendments to it, correspondence with or about you, information needed for payroll, benefits and expenses purposes, contact and emergency contact details, records of holiday sickness and other absence, information needed for equal opportunities monitoring, and records relation to your career history, such as training records, appraisals, other performance measures and where appropriate, disciplinary and grievance records. You will inevitable be referred to in many company documents and records that are produced by you and your colleagues in the course of carrying out your duties.

Where necessary, we may keep information relating to your health, which could include reasons for absence and GP reports and notes. The information will be used in order to comply with health and safety and occupational health obligations - i.e. consider how your health affects your ability to do your job and whether any adjustments to you job might be appropriate. We will also need this data to administer and manage statutory and organisational sick pay. The organisation processes some special categories of personal data, such as ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief, this is done for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring.

Employees are entirely free to decide whether or not to provide such data and there are no consequences of failing to do so. Information about trade union membership is processed to allow the Council to operation checks for union subscriptions. We also keep records of your hours of work, holidays and absences by way of our time recording system.

How long we may keep your personal informationYour information will be held electronically or on paper and retained for a period of 6 years after closure of your case. Your information will be held securely and treated confidentially.
Who we share your personal data with

Your information will be shared internally, including with members of HR team, your line manager, and other managers in the business in your area of work and IT staff if access to the data is necessary for them to undertake their roles.

We will only disclose information about you to third parties if we are legal obliged to do so or where we need to comply with our contractual duties to you. We share your data in order to obtain pre-employment references from other employers, obtain employment background checks, including where necessary criminal record checks from Disclosure and Barring services , driving license checks etc.

The organisation also shares data with third parties that process data on our behalf, in connection with payroll, the provisions of pensions, occupational health services etc.

We may share your data with Chorley Council as part of the shared services arrangements.

When computers make any decisions about youN/A
When your data gets sent to other countriesThe organisation will not transfer your data to countries outside of the European Economic Area.
Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Request a copy of your information ( known as a subject access request)
  • Request rectification or erasure of your information
  • Request a restriction on the processing of your information, and, object to processing of your information
  • Complain to the information Commissioners office about the way the Council processes your information

If you require further information about the use of your data or would like to exercise any of the above rights please contact: the Data protection officer at South Ribble Borough council


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email