Toggle menu

NHS Support Payments

Privacy Notice: Test and Trace Support Payments


Council Service:


Test and Trace Support Payments

Why we use personal information about you

  • We will collect personal information to assess your eligibility for the Test and Trace support payment which takes effect from 28th September 2020.
  • Your information may be used to search other local, or central government systems to validate the information provided to us.
  • Consider and investigate complaints.
  • To provide services for and on behalf of the Council
  • Information provided will be used in connection with the

performance and exercise of the Council's statutory or public functions


Why we can use your personal information

We must have a legal basis for processing your data. We are processing your data under the below UK laws;


  • GDPR Article 6(1)(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us


  • GDPR Article 9(2)(i) processing is necessary for reasons of public interest in the area of public health.


  • Data Protection Act 2018 Schedule 1 Part 1(2) - Health or social care purposes


  • Coronavirus Act 2020


 Separately we have special permission from the Secretary of State for health to use confidential patient information without peoples consent for the purpose of diagnosing, recognizing trends, controlling and preventing, and monitoring and managing communicable diseases and other risks to public health.


This is known as a 'section 251' approval and includes for example, using your test results if you test positive for Covid 19 to start the contact tracing process.

The part of the law that applies here is section 251 of the National Health Service Act 2006 and Regulation 3 of the associated Health Service (Control of Patient Information) Regulations 2002.




What sort of information we may hold about you

The personal Data that we may hold includes information such as;


  • Self-Isolation ID provided by the NHS Test and Trace Programme (CTAS)
  • your name,
  • contact details,
  • national insurance number,
  • bank account details
  • current employer
  • employment history
  • confirmation of benefit entitlement, including:

Universal Credit; Working Tax Credit; Income based Employment Allowance; Income-based Jobseekers Allowance; Income Support, Housing Benefit and / or Pension Grant.

  • special category personal data such as gender, ethnicity, religion or other beliefs, sexual orientation, criminal conviction and medical history.
  • Proxy applicant details (as above where you may nominate someone else to complete the application on your behalf)

How long we may keep your personal information

  • Your information will be held electronically or on paper and retained in accordance with the data retention policy, for a minimum period of 6 years after closure of your case or longer period if required by the Government/law
  • Your information will be held securely and treated confidentially.

Who we share your personal data with

We may share the information we process to validate & process your application, with the following organisations: 


  • Other Council Departments such as  Environmental Health, Investment & Skills, Revenues & Benefits, Financial and Assurance Services but not limited to the above
  • Police
  • Lancashire County Council
  • Home Office
  • Environment Agency
  • HMRC
  • DWP
  • Insurers
  • Other Local Authorities
  • NAFN
  • The Council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use the information you have provided or share it with other bodies for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud. This includes participation in the cabinet offices National (F) fraud Initiative. 
  • We may share your information for the lawful purpose of the prevention and detection of crime under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
  • Your payment information will be shared with Chorley Borough Council to process the payment on our behalf.
  • We may share your data with Chorley Council as part of the shared services arrangements. 

When computers make any decisions about you

Not applicable

When your data gets sent to other countries

Your data may be stored in other countries within the European Union.

Your Rights

You have the right to:


  • Request a copy of your information (known as a subject access request).
  • Request that information corrected - you have the right to ask for any information held about you that you think is inaccurate, to be corrected
  • Request rectification or erasure of your information.
  • Request a restriction on the processing of your information, and, object to processing of your information.
  • Complain to the information Commissioners office about the way the Council processes your information.


If you require further information about the use of your data or would like to exercise any of the above rights, please contact: The Data protection officer at South Ribble Borough council





Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email