Toggle menu

Aggressive dogs, bites and ban areas

Agressive dogs and dog bites

Reports of dog bites are investigated by both South Ribble Borough Council and the police.
If you have been bitten by a dog, the incident needs to be reported to the police who investigate dog bites on people.  This can be done by visiting your local police station or calling Lancashire Constabulary on 0845 125 35 45. 

The council investigates incidents involving dog bites to other dogs (and other pets).
Dogs can show aggression for a number of reasons.  It may be protecting its territory, it may be frightened or it may be in pain.  The best way to deal with an aggressive dog is to leave it alone.

Dogs must be under control at all times (on a lead if untrained/unsociable, muzzled if the dog has a suspect temperament).

Owners can be prosecuted for allowing dogs to bite people or attack other dogs. Dogs are not allowed in public children's play areas, and all dogs should be on leads on roads, footways and grass verges.

Dog ban areas

Rules are in place to prevent dogs from entering South Ribble's fenced children's play areas.

Report a dog off a lead


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email