Toggle menu

Building regulations applications

In general, most building work will require a Building Regulations application with a few exemptions.

Make an application

This could be anything from a new dwelling, an extension, loft conversions or the installation of new windows by a non-registered competent person such as FENSA. Others include internal structural alterations such as the removal of a load bearing wall, replacement of floors, and wall or roof coverings such as re-slating.

Commercial applications will also be required for the above and in addition new windows or shop fronts are not covered by FENSA so an application to the council will be required.

Exemptions will include conservatories that are thermally separated from the dwelling with doors, has an independent heating system such as electric heaters or oiled filled radiators and be under 30m2 in size for internal floor area.

Detached buildings are exempt from Building Regulations providing that the structure is less than 30m2  if made from non-combustible materials i.e. brick or 15m2 from combustible materials i.e. timber.

A paper form can be downloaded here:  Building control application form (PDF) [290KB]

Types of application

There are two types of application:

Full Plans Submission

This means that you will supply full working drawings to a recognised scale showing a specification of building materials used to show compliance with the Building Regulations.  A location plan should also be submitted.  Either an approval, a conditional approval or rejection will be issued.

Building Notice

With this method of submitting an application, you will be giving notice of carrying out building works to the council and therefore detailed plans are not required.  However, the council may request certain drawings or specification if required.  A building notice cannot be submitted for commercial applications.


Should you have carried out works without notifying the council by one of the above methods, you have carried out out unauthorised works.  This could lead to enforcement or could cause problems selling your house without necessary approval.  In these cases you can submit a regularisation.  A surveyor will check the work carried out and may require some exposure of work that has been covered up.  When the surveyor is satisfied of compliance, a regularisation certificate can be issued which are accepted by solicitors.

Search for an architect on the official UK Register of Architects.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email