South Ribble Borough Council aims to provide information on this website that is accessible to all who use it. Our website accessibility statement outlines improvements we will make to ensure we achieve these aims.
The statement covers only this website and our e-forms.
What is an accessible website?
An accessible website can be used by everyone, regardless of their abilities or the method they choose to access it.
Is this website accessible?
Most of this website is accessible using a wide range of devices, but we know that the following issues currently exist when using the site:
- Issues scrolling on the smallest mobile devices
- The ability to pinch to zoom using Android devices
- Users with accessibility software have difficulty using forms on the website
- When using keyboard navigation, not all functions are available while many control functions aren't highlighted
- Contrast between text and background colour for headings and sub-headings, means it can be difficult for users with moderate visual impairments using the website
- The councils payment portal is also not currently accessible, this system is due to be replaced in 2021 with a WCAG 2.1 compliant system.
To make the site more accessible to as many users as possible, we have introduced Browse Aloud software so that the site can be customised to your needs.
Browsealoud offers a host of reading and translation support - helping you to access and understand our website better.
- text-to-speech: click on or select any text to hear it read aloud
- translation: written and spoken translations in multiple languages
- text magnification: enlarges text and reads it out loud
- mp3 generation: converts selected text into an MP3 audio file
- screen mask: blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- web page simplifier: removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- settings: customise options to suit individual needs or preferences
All the features are accessed from an easy-to-use, floating toolbar - allowing you to drag and drop it anywhere on screen.
The Browsealoud accessibility features also work on any PDFs on the council website, please ensure you start Browsealoud before opening PDFs in order to take full advantage of the features.
Feedback and contact information
Please Contact us if you have an accessibility query including:
- if you are experiencing issues with accessing information or using the website
- if you find an accessibility problem not listed on this statement
- if you have positive feedback on the accessibility considerations made.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the 'accessibility regulations'). If you're not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) (external link).
Technical information about accessibility on this website
South Ribble Borough Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is not compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 AA standard. The non-accessible sections are listed below:
- 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose: Identify the purpose of fields programmatically
- 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum): Ensure text has sufficient contrast
- 1.4.4 Resize text: Ensure zoom to pinch is enabled
- 1.4.10 Reflow: Ensure pages don't scroll in two dimensions on small screens
- 2.4.7 Focus Visible: Ensure controls change appearance when they are selected
What we are doing to improve this website
We are currently embarking on a programme to completely refresh the website and to ensure that all elements will be compliant with the WCAG 2.1 standard.
We expect the website to be live no later than January 2021.
The redesign of the South Ribble Borough Council website is not feasible by September 23.